3D realtime games with random levels

I’m looking for janky 3rd-person realtime 3D action games with semi-random levels. I guess janky sort of goes without saying, huh?

Warning… spoilers…

Baroque (remake)

Rogue-style boxes and corridors, with prefab rooms.

Crimson Tears

Prefab room cells in a grid with fade-to-black transitions.

Bloodborne chalice dungeons

200 hardcoded layouts seem to have been generated from prefab chunks.

Let it Die

???

in conclusion

awesome anime teen style is not obligatory ( only welcomed).

4 Likes

?

4 Likes

Mystery dungeons are randomly generated but not realtime.

PSO supposedly picks random dungeon layouts. I can’t find a lot of people talking about it though.

I think that most levels in Everspace are random or procedurally generated.

1 Like

Void Bastards is a sequence of derelict spaceships made out of prefab chunks. It’s an FPS but with a big stealth and ammo conservation focus

3 Likes

Ergheiz and Tobal had story modes with randomly generated levels straight out of roguelikes

Lufia curse of the sinistrals’ ancient cave had no corridors, just rooms

Nuclear throne had an april fool’s patch that changed the viewpoint of the game from top down to first person (and made the game unplayable)

4 Likes

Eldritch. It has some really unsettling sound effects and music.

Paranautical Activity. Made by the guy who threatened Gabe Newell’s life on twitter or something.

OBLIGE: random level generator for good old 3D iD games.

http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

Edit: This is a very good thread.

2 Likes

everything ITT looks kinda sick

3 Likes

Toejam and Earl 3

3 Likes

let it die’s stage layouts are fixed, but he enemies and items, and the equipment the enemies have are slightly random. also, which stages are available is slightly different dependng on the days of the week i think?

delver is a beautiful game

i think the term you want here is “chuunibyou”?

3 Likes

Each of Daggerfall’s dungeons is hardcoded, but they seem to have been procedurally assembled out of a bunch of prefab parts and since there are literally hundreds of them and they are randomly populated they have the exact same feel as a true randomly generated dungeon.

3 Likes

Do you think they were procedurally generated, then baked, like how we do vegetation in open world games?

I do. I have no evidence for this but my own deductions.

I’ve found/heard a bunch of purely anecdotal sources that the “main quest” dungeons and towns were largely done by hand and then the others were psuedo-randomly generated, then tweaked by hand to a varying extent before being baked.

Oh yeah, the main places contain totally custom content that is very different from the repeated bits that make up all the filler locations and it is obvious they were done by hand. I guess I should’ve said that, except my own personal experience of Daggerfall is immediately fucking off and never doing the main stuff, so I forget that it exists mostly

2 Likes

Reminds me of another one: I think the 18 quintillion planets in No Man’s Sky were procedurally generated, but I have no concrete proof

5 Likes

this is how the dungeons/caves/etc all felt in oblivion even though I’m pretty sure this wasn’t case.

1 Like

Absolutely hand-placed (there’s a GDC talk floating around about how they changed the Oblivion dungeon-building process for Skyrim, including instituting rules like ‘no prop group reuse’, because specifically-repeating tiny things triggers that procedural sense), but apparently only one of their half-dozen dungeon designers was allowed to use traps for that really very good skellington dungeon right outside the starting sewers.

1 Like

The 3D Worms games all had a random level generator option like the 2D ones and you could enter whatever seed you wanted. Although generally they were just kind of less appealing than the prefab ones since they were so clearly totally arbitrary.

In my memory those games feel like a predecessor to stuff like QWOP or Surgeon Simulator where the controls being totally obtuse made them significantly more fun in encouraging absurd accidents, especially with others. I remember the more control I felt I had the less enjoyable it was to play with friends.

7 Likes

j-game ok?

アングラウォーカー Ungra Walker (Underground Walker)

https://psxdatacenter.com/games/J/U/SLPM-87055.html
https://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0571npjj00418_000000000000000001.html
(2p but only videos of this are on Nico)

come 2p think, also Darkstone? But Diablo clone rabbit hole, even when console version; Xanadu Next bonus dungeon?

F-x J-nct–n

who will speak for Rengoku

A different game world is generated each time a new game is started. However, instead of traditional random dungeons, the developers of Virtual Hydlide actually designed more than 20 different level maps for each of the seven dungeons, as well as more than 20 different maps for the overworld. When starting a new game, the maps for the dungeons and overworld are randomly selected from their designated level sets. Thus, though every dungeon design was created by a human designer rather than a random level generator, there are more than 25 billion possible game worlds. Moreover, each game world is identified with an alphabetic code which may be entered when starting a new game, allowing players to replay favorite level designs or compete for high scores on identical worlds. However, non-boss enemies do not appear in set locations, and continuously respawn in randomly determined locations.

Rise of the Tomb Raider “Endurance Mode”? weird shit

EDIT: think this was previously discussed or something but you can see most of the sausage-making when it comes to Daggerfall geography:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Places
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Dungeons
Daggerfall:Cybiades - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP) <— I love this article
It kind of reminds me of those tiny special islands in a JRPG, particularly in stuff like FFVIII. But this and that are a whole bundle of things not suitable for a procgen topic.

10 Likes