30-Day (in 1-Day) VGM Challenge

this thing’s been floatin’ around a lot

I decided to do my own answers to this, thought it’d be fun to compare and talk about our choices

(here’s a youtube playlist with all my choices in order)

I think some of these categories are weird and weak, “console-exclusive series” (what even is that nowadays?), “underrated”, no category for fighting games, but like, whatever, the exercise is still fun.

thought about doing it without repeating franchises/series but thought that’d be one restriction too many

might reply to this thread later to talk about some of my choices but anyway what are YOURS

3 Likes

Are you supposed to just come up with an answer each day?

I don’t really get where the “30 day” and “challenge” parts come in, because it wouldn’t be difficult to answer them all in a single day if it’s just to pick entries

oh yeah technically you would have but honestly me and everyone else I’ve seen just answer them all at once. doing them day-by-day is a hassle and nobody can keep an attention span for that long. edited the title of the thread to reflect this

How is “Cover of music by a different artist” meant to be interpreted?

Classic Track by Composer A covered in a sequel scored by Composer B? Famous Tune from Film covered in Film: The Game? Youtube guys doing game covers?

Do official Arranged Album covers count?

I was almost gonna go with Takenobu Mitsuyoshi’s version of the Ridge Racer theme that he composed for the Vita Ridge Racer game on that category but I decided to do youtube people instead, because that re-arranged medley of Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire single-handedly made me go from “I dislike this soundtrack” to “Oh, the soundtrack is amazing! The problem is the Game Boy Advance!”

Like I said, I didn’t create this list, so go loose with it and interpret it how you want! I very clearly cheated on Game Over, and I decided to interpet “shooter” as encompassing not just the Call of Duties but also the Contras and the Battle Gareggas, and even the Twinkle Star Sprites. Someone else might think of only FPSes for that category!

2 Likes

Can I still do one a day?

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

“Music you never get tired of“

2 Likes

I think the gba audio’s compressed hiss gives it character but I have an obsession with that handheld that blinds me to seeing anything negative about it

1 Like

“Cover by a different artist” does sampling count?

Open to interpretation, so yes!

Hi! Thread rez! These are fun, so I’m doing this!

Title Screen: Spelunker.
A classical canon in a strict sense. Not too carefully composed, but it’s just soothing to listen to. Spelunker is a title screen I can sit on for quite a while.

Opening Level: Sonic Adventure 2.
Holy shit, what a good theme song.

8-Bit: Nazo no Murasame Jou.
Such a wide category that it just popped into my head.

Console Exclusive Series: Evergrace.
Honestly “PS2 exclusive” wasn’t the first thing I had in mind but Evergrace’s soundtrack is too good not to mention.

Hub World/Overworld: Dark Souls.
I mean, it’s just not leaving my head ever.

Relaxing: Caves of Qud.
I’ve been getting back into this every now and then, trying to nail a build that works comfortably for me. Joppa is a pretty chill place to be!

Indie Game: Cave Story.
Fuck Nicalis. Cave Story is free. I didn’t realize until several years after playing that Amaya used a Russian folk song as Jenka’s theme.

Shooting Game: R-Type Leo.
Three! Two! One! Let’s go!

Licensed Game: Robocop.
Ranch, or Cool Ranch? :gun:

RPG Battle: Romancing SaGa 3.
The locomotion of this melody makes it feel like an entire orchestral suite packed into a single minute. Phenomenally catchy.

Puzzle Game: Baba Is You.
Ambient, chilling FM tunes

Makes Me Sad: Earthbound.

Game I Don’t Like: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
A game that sucks this bad does not deserve to have music that goes so far off.

Vocals: We <3 Katamari.
IDK what the lyrics mean, but I’m sure it has something to do with love, probably the kind that doesn’t end.

Boss Battle: Undertale.
Every track is a banger but Undyne’s is my favorite.

16-Bit: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.
Just because the music is on a CD doesn’t mean the game isn’t 16-bit lmao.

Never Tiring: Melty Blood.
:neko:

Game Over: Metal Gear Solid.
Snake. Are you OK?

Cover By Different Artist: The Legend of Zelda: Link’s awakening.
I wanted to put the Undergrond theme from Super Mario 3D World here until I actually looked it up and verified that Koji Kondo did in fact compose that song. So here’s a Zelda overworld theme arrangement done presumably by either Minako Hamano or Kazumi Totaka and NOT Koji Kondo. Take that!

Racing Game: Gran Turismo 2.
Love percussion-heavy music for sections of very tense gaming.

Associated With Frustration: Umihara Kawase.
Stupidly happy music for a game that sweats my fucking balls off.

Town/Village: Kingdom Hearts II.
Twilight Town is interesting to me for having a intentional, constructed soullessness. It’s a location with zero in-game NPCs other than your three “best friends”, your memories of whom are, like the town’s cheery vibe, wholly constructed. The dissonance of upbeat music with cold, empty atmosphere is extremely fitting for this game.

Underrated: Bram Stoker’s Dracula (NES).
Jeroen Tel composed the soundtrack for this version. Pulsewidth modulation between the two main channels helps to sell the delay effect. In this one it’s most noticeable.

Constantly Stuck In My Head: Dig Dug.
I am thinking about it.

Gets Me Pumped: Pump It Up.

Game I Haven’t Played: Bayonetta.

Handheld Game: Disney’s The Little Mermaid II: Pinball Frenzy.
I’m on no sleep and I’m at the home stretch of this post and my brain is fried.

Nostalgic: Animal Crossing: Wild World.
:__:

Final Boss: Touhou Chireiden ~ Subterranean Animism.

Credits: Mega Man II.

6 Likes

What is sampled in that song? The Corruptor was among the I believe first three DVDs I ever bought and I watched it countless times.

1 Like

Did a little bit of research on this and Swizz Beatz says the song started out as a joke with him just sliding his hand around the keyboard… Swizz Beatz Tells All: The Stories Behind His Classic Records (Part 1) | Complex

Guess he’s not telling anyone where he really got that from or it’s really a super, super weird coincidence…