2D Beat 'em Ups that aren't Streets of Rage et al

the original ninja warriors hasn’t aged well (except for daddy mulk, of course), but the ps4 sequel, ninja saviors/ninja warriors once again is one of the best beat em ups of all time and a game design masterclass.

3 Likes

makes me wanna play rush n attack again. somebody stop me

2 Likes

Irem - Blade Master

The sound is a little offbeat.

7 Likes

Playing it as intended in the Darius cabinet is an experience. Better than Darius really, which didn’t find it’s actual footing till Gaiden and G.

2 Likes

I’ve used a Darius (or was it Darius II?) cabinet so I don’t doubt it! These wide cabs are neat:

D2MisPhXcAECrkg

Sources

43527261_10215737868631758_907018920215445504_o | Galloping Ghost Arcade
https://www.onemillionpower.com/the-ninja-warriors/
Ninja Warriors Again | RVGFanatic
Ninja Warriors, The Photo: The Ninja Warriors arcade cabinet - PixelatedArcade
https://twitter.com/hgranholm/status/1108768081420173312
File:THE NINJA WARRIORS.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

5 Likes

I like how they do the effect too, it’s three 13 in displays, with the center one being real and front mounted and the side ones being reflected from below like non-deluxe lightgun game cabs

enjoy this video shamelessly stolen from the Output thread:

(bloodpotion the original post if you like please: Output Devices - #266 by Victor)

you also can’t accurately recreate the aspect ratio of this setup on modern widescreen displays because it’s straight 4:1 (3 4:3 displays) whereas 2 16:9 screens would be ~3.55:1 and an ultrawide is just ~2.33:1

more on topic, X-Men is also kinda hard to drive because it’s at a comfier ~2.66:1 but it would be more at home on an ultrawide

also I have no idea if Mame accurately replicates how the 6-player version runs (the hardware for all versions are the same and they achieve driving two displays by having each one only refresh at 30hz)

7 Likes

Somehow there was no full playthrough of the PS2 version of Warrior Blade on YouTube so I made one and yes I ruin it by babbling the entire time.

Some of the games in these Taito collections on PS2 were really input laggy–not Warrior Blade, though! Ultra-widescreen baby! It owns! This isn’t one’a those Capcom beat-em-ups that’s so tight you can’t even budge without some dipwad trying to tiptoe behind you; you can roam around and jump into packs of dudes and just like turn guys into red mist but they may hit you at unpredictable times too LIKE REAL LYFE

4:3 mode–for foolz! And nobody plays you, Dewey, you’re just a hireling

Old Conan I mean Rastan has bed time

LOOKS LIKE TROUBLE FOR YUNG CONA–I MEAN RASTAN!

OH actually it died in like 5 seconds but not before I CUT OFF TENTACLES this game ownz

DONT WORRY CHIPMONK FREND I WILL PROTECT YOU FROM THE FOREST TENTACLES

!!? GOOD THING WE ALL GOT HORSES from somehow

JUMP IN ON FOOLS

This green wizard appears and you just nudge him a little with your knee for encouragement
1051s1 copy

and he like melts everybody for you : D Buddies!

Wizrds don’t have to jump like peons also I don’t know if you can miss a jump, I didn’t and I usually would in a beat em up but this one isn’t cheap like that I don’t know what Taito were thinking didn’t they want money
009.jpg

DEth WISH KING FIRES BONE FIRE THAT TURNS INTO SKELETONS while moaning “help me” oh yeah also other times there’s like someone talking in German for some reason it sounds badass because I’m american

RYDE DRAGONSSGAHGF ASGAS G
1051s1 copy

OW
1051s1 coopy

YOU CAN PICK GUYS UP BY THE THROAT AND CARY THEM AROUND LIKE AN ACTUAL MEATY SHIELD
meatshield

HAHA OOPS MISSED OR MIST HAHAHA
splat

Let’s team up this time though!
1051s1 copy

SO METAL
SOOMETAL

Falling rocks hurt bad guys too!
1051s1 copyrox

GIVE UP FOOLS you can’t beat my DK Jr taxtix!
DKJR

METAL AS HEKK
METALLLLy

Yes I know Mahadidekaradi
METAHGHAGHJPG

There MUST be branching paths I didn’t even get to this lava level and nobody cares DEWEY
DEWYEY

11 Likes

It’s so much better than I expected. Almost a Strider-esque setpiece game. And that rockslide level!

And after whatever Rastan Saga II is supposed to be (an Alex Kidd parody?)

3 Likes

Oh yeah that one wait

Rastan Saga II,[a] known in Europe as Nastar and in North America as Nastar Warrior (except for the North American Sega Genesis version, which was released as Rastan Saga II

In Japan, Sega released a version of Tetris as a conversion kit for Nastar cabinets for unknown reasons

Because they wanted to forget about it, fool! (at SegaRetro who wrote that quote I mean)

Can’t blame shortcomings on the flyer people though

Oof well yeah in North America you can

Sources

Rastan Saga II - Wikipedia
Rastan Saga II
Rastan Saga II - Taito (Video Game, 1989) - Japan | The Arcade Flyer Archive
Nastar Warrior Images - LaunchBox Games Database

1 Like

two Rastans???

I’ll believe it when I see it

2 Likes

Knuckle Bash
Toaplan

Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy
Untitled-1 copy

5 Likes

this doesn’t have working audio in mame2003 by default on retropie :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like

Oh WRONG THREAD. Um…

Hm yeah it looks like it was maybe the only game on that particular board, TP-023, so maybe there hasn’t been a whole lot of development on it; does seem a bit odd though!

http://www.ym2149.com/arcadepcb/pcb/toaplan.html

1 Like

Tecmo Knight / Wild Fang (Tecmo 1989)

The protagonist Tecmo Knight has the assistance of “Smokeman” and “Tiger”. Pressing the “change” button allows Tecmo Knight to switch between the two. Smokeman uses powerful punches and kicks against enemies while Tecmo Knight rides him. While riding the tiger, Tecmo Knight has the use of a spiked ball and chain less powerful than Smokeman’s attacks, but with greater range. When slain, a foe’s head will break from the rest of the body and often leave behind a bonus item in the form of its skull. When collecting the special dragon skull that randomly appears after defeating an enemy, the Tecmo Knight will summon the most powerful creature to ride on in the game: the Flying Dragon. Tecmo Knight is immune to attack while riding Flying Dragon, whose breath kills any monster in the game instantly, including the stage-end bosses.

Also:

7 Likes

it’s Golden Axe done up in the same energy as N.A.R.C.

5 Likes

Asterix (Konami, 1992)

X-Men (PS3)

Out in 2010, de-listed in 2013. Early Backbone PS3 port, back when the idiotic industry standard was to shield the public’s tender eyes from those vicious pixel corners with mandatory blur filters. Can toggle another blur filter on top of that if you want.

Can play in double-wide 6 player cab mode, or single-wide 4 player cab mode. JP or US version toggle: JP has pick-ups, uses orbs before life bar for mutant power, and doesn’t loop.

Whereas in the arcade dual-screen 6-player cabs, the two screens alternated updates every 60 fps, for a staggered 30 fps, in this PS3 version, in both 4 and 6 player cab modes, the whole screen updates at 30 fps in gameplay, 60 fps in cutscenes.

More screenshots:

3 Likes

Riot City (Westone, published by Sega)

Appears to have been regarded as an uninspired, weapon-less Final Fight clone at the time, but I like the art style.

Somewhat drastically remade as Riot Zone / Crest of Wolf for TurboGrafx-CD / PC Engine Super CD; only one player but it’s one of the best beat em ups on the system–which isn’t saying much, but I kind of like it:

2 Likes

it’s also set in the kowloon walled city, which is probably a big reason why i replay it once every year or two

4 Likes
2 Likes