Colonial legacy

I used to love Tintin and Uncle Scrooge. I have trouble reading them now.

1 Like

I always remember a post from the old SB where someone explained ActRaiser as a colonialist narrative.

That was a fun post, I don’t remember who wrote it.

2 Likes

I still like Tintin, but I can’t read them without

in the back of my mind.

Some albums more than others, of course.

3 Likes

y’all know about this right

also for me it’s indiana jones, even though it’s not necessarily a ‘product of another time’ it’s a pretty faithful mimicry of one, plus it has its own 80’s racism to deal with. i still love all of the movies though :frowning:

2 Likes

I think the Spielberg Tintin is an interesting joint and a pretty compelling kids’ movie and it’s a shame it got mostly ignored in the US because I want the occasional ridiculous thinkpiece about how it juggles the baggage of the comics to skim half of before I switch to a new tab and forget about until the immense RAMweight makes me just restart my browser anew.

Better Indiana Jones than Crystal Skull, too.

3 Likes

Hergé’s politics are just awful in the first several Tintins. He got much better over time, though.

Tinrin in Tibet and The Castafiore Emerald are, together, maybe my favorite comic book stories ever?

2 Likes

jonny quest is one of my favorite cartoons but uh

i mean damn

they really tried to make hadji not have magic powers for like one half of the “real adventures” which was a nice sentiment i guess

just having dudes constantly speak in literal gibberish

race dipping himself in purple to pretend to be a pygmy god and yelling “Get back, you heathen monkeys!” was bad enough that they straight up blank out that line

well that one and also “here comes the orient express” when jonny was trying to dodge an asian dude

i guess i can just watch the ones where they’re out in the desert fighting random science monsters

2 Likes

i remember being amazed when speed racer went to africa they didn’t give the tribesman any kind of stupid voice or accent at least

tezuka, herge, eisner, seuss

miller?

I think the forever delayed and possibly dead Tintin sequel(s) are the sequels I am most interested in watching.

Here’s a thing. What do you think of the imperialist dynamic implicit in a game like Minecraft? The world is there for your use, and there is no downside. You are the lord and the land is your servant. Andrew Jackson would love this shit.

I don’t know about the psychological applicability of a cute self-contained gameworld to the physical universe. I mean, you are the lord and master of a Minecraft world, it does exist only for your pleasure.

there are villages of peaceful humanoids in minecraft, though. you can’t enslave them, but if you want to steal everything they own, burn their village to the ground and either slaughter them or leave them to be slaughtered by the monsters that appear outside at night, the game does nothing to discourage that.

Yes, but how constructive a simulacrum is that as an ethical canvas to explore?

Actraiser is basically this turned up to 11, right? That’s why I actually find the “problematic” parts of that game to be the best part, it makes the god-fantasy aspects of all video games literal. not only do you have the powers of a god, but you do what gods actually do, which is subjugate people and force them to worship you. it makes total sense.

3 Likes

actraiser doesn’t actually show what happened the first time around, remember. Satan and his boss monsters triumphed over God, who goes to take a nap for several centuries before returning to clean house. It’s more of a property dispute kind of thing.

I can’t see Minecraft this way. Especially in pre-villager versions.

2 Likes

I wonder if Corto Maltese isn’t sort of an antidote to this. Some of the drawings are problematic to be sure, especially those of asian characters, but the themes are largely anti-colonial and they’re full of historical detail rather than stereotypes. I may be forgetting some obvious outrage, though.